Google
 

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Post from Kanthara

Karine Charlebois, the incredible Kanthara, who guest pencilled Gargoyles #5, and is currently pencilling Bad Guys, posted at the Comment Room over at Station Eight, giving us some nice information about cameos in the comics, and progress on BG#4. If you haven't read Bad Guys #2 yet, there are SPOILERS:

Hey guys,

I popped in to sneak a peak at your comments on BG#2. I am TICKLED PINK. I am incredibly flattered by your compliments on the comic and the art.

I also wanted to apologize for the delay. Okay, it spent a long time at Disney waiting for approval, but I also had trouble delivering on time due to sick kids and taking on more work than I could actually accomplish in the time I had. This is why Christopher Jones acted as fill-in artist for issue #3.

The reason why issue 3 is coming out so quickly after #2 is that the license has a limited time duration, and the LS has to be done within that time. So we're trying to catch up on the schedule.

In any case, I think you will enjoy Chris's art. I know I learned a lot from it, and my work on issue 4 is better for it. Just so you know, the art of issue 4 is finished, and the lettering is happening right now.

A few comments and responses about the cameos. Some months ago, I made a call for cameos in my LJ. There were a few people I knew I wanted to include -- Greg B, for example, because he's been a big help with finding references and screencaps -- but I needed more people to fill up panels. So, next to Greg and Mara, you'll see Adriana (Ginnonami) and Lanny Fields (Invisible Wolf) waiting for the bus. On the following page, where "Fred" greets the other inhabitants of the Labyrinth, there's a group of guys chatting in the back: these are my gaming buddies. You've noticed human!Kanthara in Tokyo, and Vinnie was in the script. Rene (damoclesangel) is in that page as well as he is really currently there.

Benny's "I believe" t-shirt is a complete invention on my part. I thought it was amusing. I'm glad you think so too.

The coffee Dingo is drinking is actually a nod to the place where I did most of issue #2: I spent my working days at Second Cup, a coffee shop chain. The logo on Dingo's cup is a flipped version of theirs.

Issue 4 will have more cameos, because I enjoy them far too much. For those going to the Gathering, the page will be shown in the art show.

About "how much is script and how much is artist interpretation": I'll ask Greg if I can post a page of script to show. My experience as a comic book artist is limited, but as a storyboard artist, spans over several years. Greg's scripts, in my opinion, are clear, to the point, and don't lose themselves in details the actual reader will never see. He writes in such a way that I have room to manoeuvre, but at the same time I seem to have an easy time getting what he wants and drawing it right.

About the review: Well, seeing as I'm two issues in front of you (three if you count the fact that I've read the script for issue 5), I know that his concerns about continuity and obscure character references will get resolved in the following issues. Plus, you should count on issues 3 and 5 of Gargoyles, the main book, as your refresher as to who Sevarius is, mostly in Al's telling to Shari. It's recent enough (and while yes, it should have come out months ago, the time frame is still recent) and I doubt people who are picking up Bad Guys aren't picking up Gargoyles as well.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I was planning on going to bed early to celebrate my being finished with issue 4, but the lure of s8 was too great...

OH YEAH! Come to the Gathering to learn more about Bad Guys and see original art and perhaps even bid on original pages! I'll be selling some of my pages.
Karine

It seems that Bad Guys #4 has plenty of time to get finished and approved by the time it is expected for release in July, and hopefully this will keep the series on schedule til the end.

No comments: